During the last two to three weeks we have seen a steady decline in Roshelle's health. She has been more short of breath and has had increased pain with it. We both knew it was just a matter of time before the next crisis. Today around 3:30p.m. Roshelle called me in a panick. She was coughing up blood! It took the nursing staff a while to answer the call light, but they finally did. I talked to the nurse and she called the CF team doctor and got them running. When I arrived at the hospital her dad had already made it there. Roshelle expressed to him that she didn't want to cough up blood again. We discussed this as a family and deciced to go with pallitive care sedation this evening. Roshelle and I have discussed this at lenght about when it could be appropriate to do this. We didn't want to play God and shorten her life. The problem with the last year of Roshelle's disease is that we have been quickly painted into a corner. The disease progression eventualy becomes a one way street. Going back hasn't been an option this past two years.
This evening Roshelle's dad, and two brothers gathered and said goodbye this evening. Shortly after Roshelle was given sedation medicines to take away the severe shortness of breath that she was having post hemoptysis. At this time she is resting comfortably as I type this. Roshelle will probably passaway sometime today and part the veil its just a matter of when.
One of my favorite accounts is in the first four gospels of the new testament. When Mary Magdaline(can't spell)went too the tomb of her Master and found it empty, she was distraught and wanted to know where they had taken her Lord. A man appeared to her and she being stricken with grief didn't reconize the ressurected Savior. The Savior asked her "women why weepest thou", and then testified that he has risen. I believe that the Savior just wasn't talking to her when he said those words. I believe he was talking to us all. When one of our own love one's departs us, the Saviors words "why weepest thou" was meant for us as well. The most important words that were said in this story was "He is risen"
I would like to thank all our dear sweet friends and family for their love and support during these difficult two years. I will let everyone know when Roshelle passes and funeral arrangements.
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment